Thursday, August 9, 2012

Families Under Covenant BY PRESIDENT HENRY B. EYRING


With this talk I decided to go for a "BACK TO SCHOOL" theme because it was taught just days before my kids started "back to school". The idea actually came from my wonderfully creative sister-in-law Kellie, who is also a school teacher. 

At the dollar store I purchased about 40 glue sticks for the RS women in my ward. I then made a cover for them in photoshop. Want me to email it to you? I'd be happy to. Just leave a comment below. 

I began the lesson with my pencil box with tools essential for back to school. These tools included a pencil, scissors, ruler, eraser and glue. 
To get the crowd talking I asked them how these tools related to principals in the church or covenants that we have made with our heavenly father. I pulled out each tool one by one and let them discuss their ideas. There were no wrong answers. I saved the GLUE for last. The GLUE was the SEALING Power and then began my lesson.  I told the story about the "friend" of President Eyring who recently became reactivated into the church. I asked a lot of questions and basically summarized the talk. 
Towards the end of the talk, President Eyring suggested four things that the men could do as Priesthood Fathers to lift and lead their families home again to be with Heavenly Father and the Savior.  I cut out four letters G-L-U-E quite large and placed each letter on the chalk board after each of the four things were discussed. 
1. G gain and keep a sure witness that the keys of the priesthood are with us and held by the President of the Church.
2. L love your wife
3. U UNITY - enlist the entire family to love each other.
4. E Discipline (which in my eyes also means EDUCATE)

This tied the lesson into my school theme. We took quite a lot of time discussing each of these four things and then I closed with my testimony. 

What are your ideas for this lesson? 

8 comments:

  1. would you email me the label? thanks So much!! Such a cute idea.

    janessasorensen@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like the label as well! Just got called to be a RS teacher and I'm pretty nervous. This is a cute idea.

    amanda1st@hotmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you - Thank you! Please send me the labels too.

    ruoho6@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love the labels also please. Thank you for sharing your time and talents.

    Nanette
    nettiebowles@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am struggling with questions. What questions did you ask?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you send the label to me? I LOVE your idea! Also, what kind of questions did you ask to get the discussions going? Thank you!

    Adriane
    dootsie11@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you send me the label? Thanks, it's a good idea!
    lindahoosier@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute glue stick idea. I'm teaching from the October conference talks. If I have ideas I'd love to share. Last month was Regrets and Resolutions. I made cake balls with a M&M inside, ie: we don't know what our potential is unless we try. January is Where is the Pavilion I made sea salt carmel cupcakes which I topped with a chocolate covered square pretzel as my pavilion.

    ReplyDelete